TNR Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 05:38:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed!
59966 Posts in 4346 Topics by 353 Members
Latest Member: 94MustangBBF
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  TNR Forum
|-+  Ford Racing
| |-+  Clevelands (Moderator: wildcobrar)
| | |-+  SBF Hemi Heads
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: SBF Hemi Heads  (Read 15008 times)
Brian S

Clevelands Rock
« on: March 04, 2012, 10:25:52 PM »

I'm not sure if this topic should go in the Windsor or Cleveland section. I figure Cleveland valve angles are closer to a hemi so I'll try here first. I stumbled across these a couple days ago. What do you think? Some impressive flow numbers on the exhaust side.
http://www.nickariasjr.com/sb-ford-hemi.asp
Nick Arias Jr. Racing Components presents the world’s first Ford Hemi® cylinder head for 351 Windsor series blocks. The Arias SF-AH head kit will easily adapt to most 9.500” Windsor factory or aftermarket blocks, with a few minor modifications.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:31:29 PM by Brian S » Logged
FordRacing250

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:09:22 AM »

I dont know about the first, These have been on a car out here for a while. I will say they are some custom billet heads and not sure how many are out there.

World 8.2 371 comming together now. Canfield 195's, Vic jr, with a super vic on the side... Solid Roller, Demon carb, all this connected to an AOD sitting in a 56 F100, mustang II front, 4 link rear.
Kazoom
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 01:16:50 AM »

Hi, the arias kit is about $15000, the second one is made by FPS and I think was $12000+. Both are really neat kits, I have a great respect for the guys that have and can make there own custom heads as 15+yrs ago, a friend and I looked to get our own 4V ford head made copyed from the w43 olds which seemed to be a big problem here at that time and we gave it up.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:21:29 AM by Kazoom » Logged

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:36:11 AM »

Chet Herbert made the billet heads /rockers pictured ( I believe) in Tim's picture. Ford had plans to make them as early as '68 but they never got past the "wooden mock up" until the early 90's when they did make some pushrod 4 valve stuff, planning to offer it in kit form. Never made it dast a few prototype engines. (too costly)

Kazoom,
         It looks like you have several sets of Arao/Dominion heads. Have you run one? I am curious as to power output.
numbers/turtle 2  , just don't call me late for dinner
Brian S

Clevelands Rock
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »

The only price I found was $10K for the Arias assembled LS heads. I don't know why the Ford kit should cost 50% more unless Shelby gets a big kick back for using his name on the valve covers. With similar bore spacing (4.380 vs 4.400) they probably use the same parts for both applications and just machine them slightly different for the mounting bolt locations.
Someone on the club cobra forum posted the new crate 427 "Hemi" will be priced close to $40k.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobra-s/108798-new-shelby-hemi-crate-motor-2.html

The FPS Avenger Hemi 446 crate motor in $37K. I thought the heads were more like $20K and someone mentioned they had cracking issues. They apparently made good power but aren't as esthetically pleasing to me as the Arias heads.
http://www.strokerengine.com/fpsmotors.html
http://www.f-p-s.com/?p=231

Here's another SBF Hemi head from '08 that I don't think ever materialized.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-engines-induction-exhaust/25401-billet-aluminum-hemi-heads-sb-ford-sb-chevy.html

Mickey Thompson's 427 Ford/Hemi Engine - Mickey's Mystery Motor
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1008_mickey_thompsons_427_ford_hemi_engine/
Brian S

Clevelands Rock
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:50:51 PM »

Kazoom,
         It looks like you have several sets of Arao/Dominion heads. Have you run one? I am curious as to power output.

Yeah, I have a lot of observations and questions about these heads too. Do you think we could have a dedicated thread to just the Dominion/Arao heads? I've read a lot of your posts from other forums.
Kazoom
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:20:33 PM »

Hi, I did not know the Herberts were making this head for fps, thanks for the correction/info Randy, looks like I can learn a good amount from you  :thumbup: I got limited info on the factory ford 32valve pushrod heads but would really love to get more info on them if you have anymore. I understand they sold the few sets they made through there early FMS catalog? and they still have there patent on it?, I would REALLY like to get my hands on a used set if possible. You can please correct me if I am wrong but what I heard in the past is these and the mod engines came about at the same time frame but ford did not want the 32v pushrod heads compeating with the new modular engines so they desided to shelf the pushrod heads till the mod stuff got well into the market?.

anyway one of the guys on hamb posted the $15grand price on the arias sbf kit, I could be wrong about the fps heads but 12grand is what I remember. I have plans to phone Troy again soon about another short block and can ask him again when I do.

I can repost a bunch of stuff about my dominion version sbf heads if you guys want. I have met a few guys online with these heads that dont want to talk/deal with alot of the bs on some auto forums (corral being one of the worst out there) about these heads. This is a shame and is why I desided to take it on myself and deal with much of the bullshit on some of these ranting forum threads trying to get some facts out there. Unforunatly I have not yet got my heads/engines in my street cars again yet as a divorce had me put away/hide most all my stuff for a while, then with my c block gong show and other bad luck/life has just kept me from finishing some of this hobby stuff for now. Things are looking a bit better this year so maybe sometime this summer.

A friend and I got into these heads years ago because we were looking for something new/interesting to mess/play with. I originaly became interested in 4 valve pushrod tech because of mr Feulings 4 valve HD heads many years ago and I have a few sets inc some of mr Feulings 90's prototype hd race heads. I have a great respect for mr Feuling, I have learned lots from his 4v stuff and other pushrod multi valve bike stuff.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:36:02 PM by Kazoom » Logged
Kazoom
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »

I think we should turn this into a exotic heads thread :punk:

These heads were built by Hal Carlson (RIP) at Dominion Perf. Hal passed away just last year and his close friend just got the last two sets of Dominion heads.

I was modding the set above to a boss int port for big ci. Hal knew how to make it a real p.i.t.a if you ordered a lower stage head to mod it your self to a higher stage head. :cursing:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:11:34 PM by Kazoom » Logged
Kazoom
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:21 PM »

After seeing mr Benjamins multi valve hemi race heads, I have always thought his idea was perfect for applying to any/all standard hemi designs, his multi valve heads were so good they were outlawed (like other multi valve deals) by nhra. If anyone out there ever made a simular version for a sbf, I would be all over it like flys on poop. :excl:

http://dbhardparts.com/heads.html
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:31:17 PM by Kazoom » Logged
302ute

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:29:27 AM »

:tongue: This stuff is just beautiful. It is great to see that few look like they actually got finished and run even if they did not make it into production as such. Much respect for the guys that do/have done this stuff :thumbup:
Kazoom
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 08:15:12 AM »

Hi 302, There has been so much bad info posted by some on forums its just plain funny, I understand Hal made at least 2 doz sets of sbf heads with various diffrent int port versions, this does not inclued what arao has made. The other thing that seemed to get lost because of all the bs out there is most guys did not understand there were 2 diffrent companys/supplyers for these heads in cali for a while as there was some type of business split up by diffrent groups at arao, The Dominion company came after Arao, not before as some think.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:10:33 AM by Kazoom » Logged
Kazoom
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 08:26:37 AM »

Another trick multi valve pushrod head kit for the sbf I would Love to get my hands on is the old Gurney 3 valve, I heard these heads made some really good power numbers, #5 in pic.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-engines-induction-exhaust/18156-gurney-weslake-head-performance-2.html

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 01:13:19 PM »

With Chet Herbert's passing the heads have gone with him. RIP Chet.
numbers/turtle 2  , just don't call me late for dinner
FordRacing250

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 04:27:52 PM »

I would love to have these

The car would be a bonus.
World 8.2 371 comming together now. Canfield 195's, Vic jr, with a super vic on the side... Solid Roller, Demon carb, all this connected to an AOD sitting in a 56 F100, mustang II front, 4 link rear.
Kazoom
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »

I agree!... me too :thumbup:

From what I understand mercury briefly advertised a 4 valve dohc head kit for the sbf block back in the late 60's, early 70's for a short time. I am not sure but I think it was this sbf Globe 32v kit.

I would love to have one of each of all this stuff :punk: Im still waiting for my winning lotto #'s

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:23:20 PM by Kazoom » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »