TNR Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2014, 09:09:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed!
58374 Posts in 4214 Topics by 348 Members
Latest Member: kriscarr54
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  TNR Forum
|-+  Modified Parts
| |-+  Technical advice (Moderator: TooNuts)
| | |-+  Forming a Lexan windshield?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Forming a Lexan windshield?!  (Read 2211 times)
FomocoBw

« on: November 25, 2011, 10:39:53 PM »

So, I removed my glass winshield(took a rock thrown from car ahead of me in the burn-out box) it put a nice sized "star" chip in it..so I thought what the hell I'd order a "formed" windshield from Clear1 or Proglass....WHOLLY shit..they are sorta proud of them. SO I got to dick'n around with a piece of old clear plastic(acrylic) and started to form it with my heat gun...hmmm, bends kinda nice..and easy. Anyone done a whole winshield? I still have my original glass one...form it over that looks to be the simplest?!  How the hell do you get the old rear view mirror mount off with out braking the glass?
Just 'Cuz your "college" educated does NOT make you SMART!...

Ya, Its and Iron head, Stock Iron Block Cleveland thats F@#k'n fast....

Real race cars have THREE pedals.....
9.97@134+ 1.40 '60...best.
93cobra1928
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:31:19 AM »

Heat up the mirror button and you can pop it off with some pliers.
my63

Defending myself from the DLWM crowd

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 05:50:04 PM »

I went around and around with this idea 2 years ago for my Fairlane as no one offers a preformed front glass.

The one problem I had with forming the new glass over the old one is it will end up slightly wider than the original glass, approx. length will be twice the thickness of the glass than the original, if that makes sense.

Problem #2 was that I was told that the scratch resistant versions of lexan can not be heated. Something to do with the coatings that they use.

Not entirely sure about the accuracy of the information I received, but this came from a GE Lexan dealer.   :hammer:
1963 Fairlane Bracket Car, COMING SOON: 306", C-4, Canfield, Vic Jr. E-85
Thanks to: Mark Sullens, Agri Center Precision Machine Shop    www.Agricenter.us   www.marksullense85carburetors.com www.rebco-machine.com
FomocoBw

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »

Thanks for the responces gentlemen...The mirror came right off..thanks for the tip. I Googled "forming lexan" and found a few post about using a heat gun...so, I'll try that first..I know what you mean my63...I'll try forming it on the "outside" first and trimming it to fit from there. Fourtunatlly the glass is not too curved, so I think I'll be ok. I'll be re-installing the chrome trim to hide the edge's. I'll stop by the local glass dealer that has lexan and get a piece next week and let you know. By the way, 3/16ths is what Proglass told me would work with-out a center support....by rule you only have to have .125 thick.

93cobra1928
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 10:16:52 AM »

Instead of Lexan, look for Margard (sp?) it's just like Lexan for a lot less money.
wildcobrar

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 10:40:59 AM »

Instead of Lexan, look for Margard (sp?) it's just like Lexan for a lot less money.

Is Margard more scratch resistant too??   I heard that it was.

Joe
Junk 351C with 138 dollar cam, nail head exhaust valves, 9.8 to1 comp  10.74@128MPH  JUNK LOL 
Mainstream Auto & Speed selling anything Summit Racing offers@Summit Racing prices
Pro Systems & PROBE
Industries & YEAR ONE
Dealer
Blue Thunder Dealer(Great Discount Price)
VACATION NEEDED
93cobra1928
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 11:30:24 AM »

Is Margard more scratch resistant too??   I heard that it was.

Joe

Yes it is. Most of the guys around here use it holds up a lot better than Lexan.
my63

Defending myself from the DLWM crowd

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 01:54:49 PM »

Margard is registered brand of GE and is the Lexan with this coating. Margard is more expensive than regular lexan, but will not scratch and turn hazy as you wipe off your dial in.
It still scratches easy with sonething sharp, however.
This is what I used.

There is a couple of other cheaper brands of polycarbonate sheeting out there, but no one near me handled this brands.
Tufftak and Cyrolon are just 2 brands that come to mind, but there are several other brands out there. Most offer some sort of scratch resistant coating.

I think that I paid around $225 for a full 4' x 8' sheet of .125 thick Margard from a local wholesale glass distributor. That was 2 1/2 years ago or longer.
1963 Fairlane Bracket Car, COMING SOON: 306", C-4, Canfield, Vic Jr. E-85
Thanks to: Mark Sullens, Agri Center Precision Machine Shop    www.Agricenter.us   www.marksullense85carburetors.com www.rebco-machine.com
Thunderhawk

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 06:20:29 PM »

I wonder if you could roll  lexan in a sheetmetal roll. I know we have had some with a 45* break in them from machine shops.
FomocoBw

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »

I wonder if you could roll  lexan in a sheetmetal roll. I know we have had some with a 45* break in them from machine shops.
Thanks guys for the tips! I thought of the rolling thing..but the winshield has a compound curve.

wildcobrar

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 07:12:28 AM »

Thanks guys for the tips! I thought of the rolling thing..but the winshield has a compound curve.

I think rolling it may not be a good idea.  If there happens to be a little debris on the wheels of the roller your nice new mar glass will get pitted and mucked up.  Just a thought.

Joe
Junk 351C with 138 dollar cam, nail head exhaust valves, 9.8 to1 comp  10.74@128MPH  JUNK LOL 
Mainstream Auto & Speed selling anything Summit Racing offers@Summit Racing prices
Pro Systems & PROBE
Industries & YEAR ONE
Dealer
Blue Thunder Dealer(Great Discount Price)
VACATION NEEDED
etracer

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 07:29:25 AM »

Why not use cardboard for a templete and transfer that to the Lexan?
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; others only gargle"

"He got into the gene pool while the lifeguard wasn't watching"

"His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of morbid curiosity"
93cobra1928
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »

Why not use cardboard for a templete and transfer that to the Lexan?

I think he is mainly concerned with getting the curve into it like the factory glass.
347HO

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »

Retain the old, chipped glass.
Use Matt glass and use the old windshield as an "inside" mold for the Matt.
Take your Lexan and lay it on top of the Matt mold and you'll have a perfect dimensional piece of Lexan.
FomocoBw

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 09:32:02 PM »

Retain the old, chipped glass.
Use Matt glass and use the old windshield as an "inside" mold for the Matt.
Take your Lexan and lay it on top of the Matt mold and you'll have a perfect dimensional piece of Lexan.
Great Idea! TY!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »