TNR Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2017, 04:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed!
62496 Posts in 4597 Topics by 383 Members
Latest Member: carbed79
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  TNR Forum
|-+  Modified Parts
| |-+  Transmissions (Moderator: moco)
| | |-+  Need some good fortunes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need some good fortunes  (Read 1339 times)
my63

Defending myself from the DLWM crowd

« on: March 10, 2015, 07:37:25 PM »

Tore the C4 apart this weekend. I knew that the pump was broken, but the stator support was snapped off in the direct and forward drums.

I ran out of time so I haven't got the case gutted yet to see if it is cracked and need to disassemble both drums, clean and magnaflux them.
Man, I hope nothing else is broken!

Sigh.
1963 Fairlane Bracket Car, 408", C-4, Canfields, Vic Jr. E-85
Thanks to: Mark Sullens, www.marksullense85carburetors.com www.rebco-machine.com
289nate

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 07:54:05 AM »

Man,  hope things start going your way soon! 
moco

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 07:12:57 PM »

I've never seen them break there; they break on the conv side. Man you can break an anvil in a sand box, lol. Are you sure the bolts weren't loose. What is the end play set at? It may just be metal fatigue; I can't see an inline valve headed motor making enough powa to break anything, lol! :death:
my63

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 07:42:33 PM »

You gotta remember the crank was in 4 pieces and the bell and tail shaft housings broke.

Yes, it broke on the converter side too!

No loose bolts.

End play was .020. there was some wear on the thrust washer with the tangs. #2 (?)

Disassembled both drums and inspected closer. I don't see any cracks, but my friend is going to bring the magnaflux kit home and we'll check it closer.

Wear is minimal. I believe I can replace one .079 steel with a .090 steel and both packs will be tight again. The worst friction is .056 thick now, was .060 reds. Most are .057 thick and a couple are .058.

I need to scheme a way to gain .060 more clearance so I can add another friction to the direct clutch for a total of 6 discs.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:48:25 PM by my63 » Logged
Thanks to: Mark Sullens, www.marksullense85carburetors.com www.rebco-machine.com
my63

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »

Man,  hope things start going your way soon!

A few more bucks and a running car will make everything all better!
moco

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 07:51:08 PM »

I forgot you had catastrophic failure. That thrust washer always end up having grooves, use the broader perf fwd drum hats been modified for the brg.
my63

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:27:06 PM »

I forgot you had catastrophic failure. That thrust washer always end up having grooves, use the broader perf fwd drum hats been modified for the brg.

Looking closer at the washer, the groove seems to be only on half of the washer, or worst on half. I wonder if the washer dug in on the stator face when it got cockeyed and broke?

I should have sprung for that when I bought his welded drum. I'll probably go back with new selective washers this time due to the huge cash outlay getting this back up and running. I want to get a bearing there and at #9 at a minimum. Then only the reverse planetary will be the only washers in it.

Baby steps!
my63

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »

I have a known good C4 pump I can use again. Any reason not to?

The broken one was a stock C5 pump with a C6 front bushing for the converter.
moco

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 05:33:06 AM »

Yes you can use the c4, just make sure it's not a real early model as the rings will be different and not work. I always is the c6 thrust washers on them, just have to be careful on placement, some of the pumps don't have much surface area, but it's no big deal.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »